Friday, April 23, 2010

How to: Disable Windows Security Center Balloon Warning

Introduction
Do you ever get annoyed with the Windows Security Center Pop-Up telling you that you are not protected because you do not have any Anti-Virus Software, or Automatic Updates is turned off? Well so was I. That is why I searched the internet for the answer and I finally found it. In light of that here are detailed instructions on how to disable those Balloon hint tips from the Windows Security Center.

Removing Annoying Balloon Pop-Up
In order to remove the annoying balloon pop-up from windows security center we need to follow these steps exactly. Click on the Windows Start button. Next click on either Programs or All Programs and from there click on Accessories and than to System Tools. Click on Security Center which should pull up the Windows Security Center window which shows the Anti-Virus, Windows Update and Windows Firewall.

Look to the left hand side, you will see a Resources pane. Once you find the Resource pane in the Windows Security Center window click on the "Change the way Security Center alerts me." A Window will appear with multiple check boxes which allow you to choose what you want to be alerted on. My personal setting is un-checking all, Windows Firewall, Anti-Virus and Windows Update. If you leave any of these boxes checked Windows Security Center will alert you if you disable that item. For example, if I do not un-check Windows Firewall, and I find out that my Router has a built in firewall that works 100times better than Windows Firewall ever will and I decide that I do not need that on, the second I turn off Windows Firewall a red security shield will come up on my taskbar displaying a balloon hint that states something like I am un-protected and click here to protect yourself.

Following those simple steps you can choose what to be notified on and what not to be notified on.

Ending Notes
I hate Windows telling me what to do. I am glad Windows Security Center has the option to disable these alerts, as the Security Center alerts annoy me. Whether you want to choose to have it alert you for one item instead of 3 this tutorial should help you accomplish your goal of being less annoying by Windows Security Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment